Surface mount segments are little and can be mounted on either side of the PCB and have increased extensive utilization of hardware. The benefit of SMT or Surface Mount Technology are accessible in both design and development.
Advantage of Surface Mount Technology in Design
- The most important benefits in Design section are significant savings in weight and real estate and electrical noise reduction.
- The SMT component can weigh as little as one-tenth of their common thru-hole equivalents. Because of this reason significant decrease in weight of the Surface Mount Assembly (SMA).
- SMT components occupy small because of this only one-half to one-third of the space on the printed circuit board.
- Since every electronic part are not accessible in surface mount, the real area reserves on a board will depend on the ratio of through-hole components changed by surface mount parts.
Benefits of Surface Mount Technology in Manufacturing
- There are major benefits provide also in manufacturing section.
- The important advantage of SMT in manufacturing includes reduced board cost, reduced material handling costs, and a controlled manufacturing process.
- Routing of traces is reduced, the size of the board is reduced, and number of drilled holes are also reduced.
- If the functions on the surface mount board are not expanded, the expanded between inter-package spacings made possible by littler surface mount parts and a decrease in the quantity of bored gaps may likewise reduce the quantity of layer counts in the printed circuit board. This will again bring down the board cost.
The above benefits of Surface Mount Technology don’t necessarily means that SMT assembly will always cost less. It depends when and how SMT is used.
Disadvantages of Surface-Mount Technology
• The small lead spaces can make repairs more difficult.
• It cannot assurance that the solder connections will withstand the compounds used during potting application. The connections may or may not be damaged when going through thermal cycling.
• Components that generate a lot of heat or bear a high electrical load cannot be mounted using SMT because the solder can melt under high heat.
• The solder can also be weakened due to mechanical stress. This means components that will be directly interacting with a user should be attached using the physical binding of through-hole mounting.
Tektron Genesis offers better surface-mount technology services in New York also provide through-hole technology, PCB design, PCB layout and many more. With highly expertise and qualify team of PCB layout design full fill custom electronic product development & manufacturing requirements of clients at affordable costs and delivering high quality of work.