Firmware is an arrangement of instructions or programs written in machine language that are utilized to work electronic gadgets. ROM is a sort of ‘built-in’ memory chip that is equipped for holding and putting away information in an electronic gadget.
Electronic devices require three parts for development: hardware, firmware, and software. All these three are important for several devices. Also, other gadgets are available such as RAM, ROM, etc.- used in a device basically upgrade and improve the efficiency of the given device.
Here we provide differentiate between firmware and ROM.
Know about ROM
- ROM has known as Read Only Memory.
- It is one kind of non-volatile storage system in a PC.
- Each PC comes fitted with this memory that holds guidelines for beginning up to the PC.
- ROM stores some difficult programs, for example, the program that boots the PC and performs diagnostics.
- Data stored in ROM can’t be effectively changed or modified. This data is also not lost when the PC is shut down.ROMs work at a much slower speed that RAM.
- Generally, adding with computer ROMs is used basically in calculators and peripheral devices such as laser printers, in which ROM stores the fonts.
There are various types of ROM:
- PROM (programmable read-only memory)
- EPROM (erasable programmable read only memory)
- Flash Memory
- These are generally used to allocate firmware.
Know About Firmware
- Firmware’ can be specified as a specific type of programming.
- The main work of programming is essential to pick up any task by the numerous processors of a device and this programming is joined into a ROM (Read Only Memory).
- The instructions are coded in Basic Input Output Service (BIOS) and is stored in ROM.
- ROM contains the loader program which helps to load a program into the device memory.
- Some usual examples of devices including firmware in their systems are watches, computers, mobile phones, camera, etc.
Comparison between Firmware and ROM:
|Definition||Firmware is a set of instructions or programs written in machine language which are used to operate electronic devices.||ROM is a type of ‘built-in’ memory chip that is capable of holding and storing data in an electronic device.|
|Form||It is a set of programs.||It is a read-only-memory device.|
|Volatile||It is volatile.||It is not volatile.|
|Storage||It is stored in the ROM of a device.||It is stored or embedded in the device.|
|Example||OpenWRT, Open Firmware, etc.||PROM, EPROM, and Flash Memory.|
Image Source: Google