There is huge confusion between the microcontroller and microprocessor. Both of them have been used in real-time. They have several common features and also have some major differences. Both the integrated circuit’s, for example, the Microprocessor and microcontroller can’t be outstanding by taking a look at them. They are reachable in various versions beginning from 6-pin to as high as 80-100-pins relying upon the features.
Over the past two decades, the piece of technology called “Microprocessor” has changed the way in which we notice, observe and control the world nearby us. The microprocessor is viewed as a making of common developments in the computer architecture and furthermore Integrated Circuit (IC) creative fields. It has made the idea of personal computing extremely possible.
The Microcontroller is normally considered as a result of the microprocessor development. The assembly process and programming method – these two methods are liable in the development of microprocessors has similarly prompted the microcontroller advancement. Until many years prior, these are not more popular even though most of the buyers of electronics, specifically TVs, video cassette recorders, video games, lifts, phones, etc.
Let’s see here short overview of the microprocessor, microcontroller, and its differences.
What is the Microcontroller?
The Microcontroller is one kind of simple computer on a single integrated circuit (IC). It includes RAM, ROM, processor core, I/O pins committed to doing numerous task. These are mostly used to create applications and electronic projects that requirements direct control of the customer. As it has every one of the components required in its single chip, it doesn’t require any exterior circuits to finish the task. So these are mostly used in embedded system and microcontroller manufacturing industries producing them to be used in the embedded market. The microcontroller is called the heart of the embedded system. For example, of the most famous Microcontroller are 8051, PIC, AVR.
What is the Microprocessor?
The Microprocessor is one type of simple electronic or computer devices which stores and process the data, not a desktop or computer hardware include one or few Integrated Circuits. It is similar to microcontroller, but does not have any peripheral devices like RAM, ROM, etc. The task of microprocessors is dependent on exterior circuits of peripherals. But there are not work for the specific task, but they are needed where the task is tough and complicated like games, software development, other applications that require high memory and also where I/O are not mentioned. The Microprocessor is called the heart of a computer system. For example, of the best Microprocessor are I3, Pentium, and I5 etc.
Now we are going into discussing the differences between microprocessor and microcontroller.
• Today we are generally aware of what is a microprocessor and microcontroller, so it is easy to identify the key difference between them.
• The major difference between both of them is the life of external peripherals, where microcontroller have memory (RAM, ROM, EEPROM) embedded in it while we have to use exterior circuits in case of microprocessors.
• As all the microcontroller peripherals are on single IC it is reduced while the microprocessor is huge.
• Microcontrollers are set up by utilizing CMOS (reciprocal metal oxide semiconductor) technology so they are far cheaper than microprocessors. Generally, the applications prepared with these are reasonable because they need less external components, while the entire charge of systems complete with microprocessors is high because of the number of exterior components required for such systems.
• The other difference is that the microcontroller has a power saving system while in microprocessor generally there is no power saving system. In microcontroller use low power and also for external components need consumption of power is less. The compare to microcontrollers, it requires high power consumption mode and also several external components are used in different high power consumption.
• In microcontroller use low power and also for external components need consumption of power is less. The compare to microcontrollers, it requires high power consumption mode and also several external components are used in different high power consumption.
• The design of Microcontroller depends on Harvard architecture where program and information memory are particular while microprocessors depend on the von-Neumann architecture where both the memories are put away in the equivalent memory module.
From the above data, at last, we can conclude that the examination amongst microprocessor and microcontroller regarding cost isn’t supported. Totally a microcontroller is inexpensive than a microprocessor. The key points are that microcontroller cannot be used in its place of the microprocessor and using this is not suggested instead of a microcontroller as it builds the application rather expensive.
Source & Image url:http://www.efxkits.com/blog/difference-microprocessor-microcontroller/